Friday, June 19, 2009

What can we do?


(any other ideas? let me know!)

I do a lot of ranting. Especially about health care. But to be honest, that doesn't really help the situation. So, in response to a great question ("what can we do?") from MzzLily, I thought I would provide some ideas on things we can do (those of us who favor at LEAST a public option, if not single-payer) to make our opinions heard.

Here are some things you can do;

1. Call or email your representatives. Just google your state and the word "representatives" and you should get a list of who represents which districts.

2. Call or email Chris Dodd, a senior member of the HELP (Health, Education, Labor & Pensions) Committee: Tel: (202) 224-2823 | Fax: (202) 224-1083 or email him here.

3. Sign a petition, or two, or three. You can find one by clicking here, and another here, and another here. If you find more, let me know and I will add them.

4. Get as informed as possible. It's a complex issue, and as the Democrats, Republicans, and bipartisan groups come out with one plan after another, it's only getting more complex. Here is a good place to start, and here is Howard Dean's site that gives a lot of information and action steps.

5. Talk to your friends and family. A lot of people are frightened of the single-payer system because they have heard about "a friend's cousin's aunt" in England who had to wait three excruciating weeks for her gall bladder surgery. But hello ... the health insurance companies are in business to deny coverage, generate profits for fat cats, and shuffle papers while Americans choose between medical care and bankruptcy. If you have a personal story about the problems of the U.S. system, share it. If you have trouble remembering all the statistics (like I do), choose a website such as www.healthreform.gov and simply refer people there.

6. Watch closely. Take note of which politicians stand up for your best interests, and which ones oppose true reform or come out with useless compromises. Then vote accordingly.

~~~


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Sometimes writing them is more frustrating than watching the news. The last letter I sent (about March or April) I got reply. Too bad it wasn't an answer to the question I asked! It's no surprise we're in this boat when the elected officials don't understand simple words in English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily, I know! That drives me crazy too. I sent an email one time saying I disagreed with something, and the congressman wrote back saying thanks for agreeing. argh!

    ReplyDelete