Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Your turn, Sarah




(pick one.)


I'm sure you have already heard about David Letterman's inappropriate joke and the ensuing furor from the Palin family. Just in case you have been comatose for the past week, here is a link. After initially trying to defend the joke, Letterman apologized yesterday.

Now, I am not going to defend the joke. It was clearly out of line. If I was the mom of the daughter in question (regardless of which daughter he was talking about) I would have been livid.

But.

If I was a politician with ambitions on a national (if not global) scale, I would have responded differently. A simple, strong comment would have been sufficient, without comparing the issue to the rape of a child or invoking the U.S. military for a touch of flag-waving:

"Letterman certainly has the right to 'joke' about whatever he wants to, and thankfully we have the right to express our reaction," said Palin in a statement to Fox News, one of many, many statements she made on the issue. "This is all thanks to our U.S. Military women and men putting their lives on the line for us to secure America's Right to Free Speech."

Oh please. This is all thanks to the unabashed political ambitions of a woman who seeks the warm glow of any spotlight, any time, for any reason.

David Letterman apologized. That's good. Now, Sarah, would you like to apologize for ignoring the hatred of the crowds you so effectively whipped up during the campaign? or for insinuating that our President is a terrorist?

Would you care to apologize to the women in Wasilla who were forced to pay for their own rape kits?

At the very least, could you apologize to that poor turkey whose beheading provided a gruesome backdrop to your peppy interview about pardoning the other turkeys, who I guess must have been Republicans?

No. I didn't think so.

~~~


2 comments:

  1. hehe... I'm a Letterman watcher. I saw the original show that started it. It was not a funny joke, but many of his jokes aren't that funny. Never once did the 14-yr-old enter my mind. It was just a 'popular celeb of the moment' joke. It would have been forgotten the next day.

    I agree with you... Palin is enjoying the spotlight and making a bigger deal than it deserves, especially by trying to stir the pot with the rape comparison. I thought that was farther out of line than Letterman's original joke!

    Gotta go... Sarah is holding another press conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad Palin can't receive as well as she gives. Another example of a whiny Republican.

    ReplyDelete