Sunday, July 5, 2009

Palin Resignation, Chapter Two


The news has sunk in. The pundits and bloggers are going to town. Sarah Palin has explained her decision quite extensively. And everybody is trying to figure out what the heck she is talking about.

Nothing new there.

I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more talk about the speech itself. You can read a transcript here. Or better yet, watch the video here.

Notice her speech patterns. She is talking so fast, she's practically gasping for air. There is a pressured quality to her speech. Her thoughts jump from one topic to another, particularly towards the end when she goes off-script. She is cheerful and upbeat, to say the least. And she has grandiose ideas, apparently inspired by God.

Let me digress for a minute.

My mom often exhibited these same characteristics. She was a bright, intelligent woman who would sometimes get lofty ideas - and then would make impulsive decisions. When she was in the midst of these decisions, she would adopt very specific speech patterns. Rushed, pressured, upbeat. Inspired by God.

Mom accomplished a lot during her lifetime. She single-handedly saved a historic railroad station from demolition. She was loved and respected.

She was also bipolar.

I don't mean to spread rumors, or to disparage Ms. Palin's intentions. She is a bright, vibrant woman who will probably impact politics for years to come. But if she is bipolar and she doesn't get treatment, we could all be in for a wild ride. The 'ups' tend to get higher and higher, and the subsequent 'downs' can be devastating.

Take care of yourself, Sarah. I don't agree with your politics, but I wish you the best.

~~~


7 comments:

  1. Bipolar???? Well it may explain her behavior.
    Sounds plausible to me. Very good assessment. And hopefully she never gets the chance to lead our nation. Imagine her in a position of power at that 3 AM hour making the ultimate decision. Would she be in manic phase or depressive phase? Scares me. God Bless Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. Palin might be in BIG trouble according to Shannyn Moore (Alaskan blogger and Huffington Post contributor) and she talked about this on Hardball on Friday via telephone interview.
    Check it out... good to see others blogging on this beside the "pros" on the web.
    You are correct about her inbalance however, let's be honest... she was not ready for the level of politics when McCain tapped her last summer. I think the pressure finally wore her down.
    You betcha and stay tuned for more on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to watch the video to see if it makes more sense the 2nd time around... What I got from the news footage I saw was that she is resigning because she's a fighter - not a quitter. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think the personal attacks got to her. The Vanity Fair piece really took things to a new level of attacks. She is going to end up in the private political sector writing books and doing the CNN/Fox circuit as a so-called analyst. Would be interesting to see her next to Olberman. He would probably take target practice by the second "You betcha."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lily, watch it again and let me know what you think. With my mom, I could tell over the phone if she was off her meds. I got chills listening to her speech. It was eerily similar to mom.

    I think it would be great if she ended up on Fox. That way I could decide if I wanted to see her or not. Click!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not thought of this angle to the story. You may well have the key to her illogical twists and turns and sometimes creepy assertions.Please consider me a follower and interested reader of both of your blogs. My best. Count Sneaky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, Count Sneaky! I am delighted to have you as a follower. I hope to offer many more interesting but unsubstantiated ideas as the months go by. Actually, I'm surprised the Palin speech didn't cause more people to think "bipolar" especially since the idea has been brought up in the past. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete