Thursday, September 10, 2009

The speech heard round half of the world


(rep. joe wilson from south carolina, proving that southern manners are highly over-rated.
i'm sure his mother was appalled.)


I loved President Obama's speech.

He clearly explained his priorities. He addressed the issue of how to pay for reform. He called out the Republicans for their lies.

Here is one of my favorite parts, which expresses my feelings about the Republican claim that we need to trust the "free market" to control health care (not to mention Wall Street):
"The danger of too much government is matched by the perils of too little."

Well said.

The question is, was anybody listening? The Republicans were downright rude, waving papers in the air (their health care plan? receipts from the insurance lobbyists? love letters from Argentina?) and even heckling the President, which earned Joe Wilson a look known as the "Icy-Death-Ray-Through-Your-Brain" from Nancy Pelosi.

The Democrats were enthusiastic, and Obama is generally getting good reviews today.

I hate to be the voice of pessimism, but I am disappointed that the public option is becoming more and more marginalized. It looks like we'll all end up being forced to buy insurance, with no real controls on insurance company profits or premium levels.

My suspicions were confirmed by a headline this morning on Reuters.com ...

HMO Shares Rise After Obama Health Reform Speech

Congratulations, UnitedHealth, Blue Cross and Aetna. You're about to get millions of new customers. They will visit a "health insurance exchange" and choose from rate plans that look like this:

~ Basic Plan: Arm and a leg
~ Premium Plan: Your first-born child
~ Platinum Plan: Don't even ask

I guess my husband and I will stick with our current plan. We call it Pull-The-Plug-When-We-Run-Out-Of-Money. It's the only one we'll be able to afford.

~~~

4 comments:

  1. I loved his speech too. He always amazes me with his ability to say the right thing at the right time. Sadly though I think the public option is now a goner.
    I would love to have been a fly on the wall in Nancy Pelosi's office as she she had her say with Rep.Wilson. I can picture him walking like a dog with his tail between his legs after she got done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The public option would not even kick in for another four years as President Obama mentioned last night.
    But, you have reason to be skeptical because ALL past Presidents that have attempted Health Care Reform have failed.
    But this time things will get done and there will be a public option on the bill... THE HOUSE will not pass a bill without it. That came right from the mouths of Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, John Conyers, and too many others to mention here.
    In other words, the Dems (who are the super majorities in both the House and Senate) want a public option or there will be no bill.
    Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rae: I know, Nancy looked like she wanted to jump out of her seat and strangle him!

    Jim: Thanks for your positive attitude. My husband and I are really concerned that we might have to buy our own insurance soon. Please oh please - we need an affordable choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest gripe? All they keep saying is that 'the American people' don't want this. What? Didn't the majority (a.k.a. landslide)vote for THIS guy with THIS health care plan? They say that most older people & women oppose the plan. No... most loud-mouthed older people and women maybe... but NOT the majority. And the ones that do? They're scared of the non-existent 'death panels'. Calgon, take me away!

    ReplyDelete